Saturday, May 19, 2012

London calling


Be here in less than 48 hours? Oh don't mind if I do! It is finally the time I have been waiting for... I have finished the longggg classes, packed my bags, and in just a few short hours will print my boarding pass. Lets be honest, there will be at least two of three instances of kneeling in the airport (I've never been through DFW) and there is a good chance of missing my flight. Who knew they booked flights where people actually couldn't get from one to the other? Not me!


But non the less the time is here. I am about to embark on my 11 day trip to London, with a little weekend of Paris mixed in. I could not be more ecstatic. This wont be another trip to Florida that is for sure!


All I can think about while packing my last few things, not even having to shove them into the suitcase. Good thing I brought room to shop! But, all I can think about is how this would have never been possible without my parents. Once again, they have saved the day.


When I was growing up I of course thought they were out to get me much like most kids do. Not to the extent of most, but come on mom... a 12 o'clock curfew? Really? Though now I'm at that point where all I can do is respect them. Respect them for all of the little flaws, and everything they think they are bad at. Because honestly my parents aren't bad at anything.


I often look at myself and think I could do better. I could have more job offers after school if I would have taken one more internship. Or I could go further if I would have made just a few more A's. Then I stop and think of the good things I have done so far, and how I would never have done them without my parents.


My life has been set around irrational decisions. I need to be a singer, I want a horse, I have to be a cheerleader. But my parents were always right there letting it happen. My dad running me around town to make demos and sending them to record labels. My mom taking me to endless practices for a sport that isn't even a real sport. In the end they probably felt pretty silly, but they did it for me. 


And them going out of their way for these crazy dreams has made me work so hard for the ones I have found to be closer to reach.



This is the stuff parents are supposed to do. This is what mine do. Clearly I'm not going to the olympics, but did you see the sign? It's in London. Where I will be. So there is a small connection... Though either way, it proves my point. 


My parents have made the world possible to me. The day I called my dad, finally realizing this trip was not something I had irrationally thought about, but something I wanted to do. He said yes, and I started bawling. There I was sitting on my kitchen floor, trying so hard to keep him from hearing because once again, they did it for me. They made something possible that would never have been without them. They made my dream come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment