Sunday, May 6, 2012

Lemonade day memory lane


Yesterday was Lemonade Day in Lubbock! 3,000 kids singed up, built stands and made sweet drinks. Of course Kristin, Kelsey and I had to join in on the fun! $45 and A LOT of solo cups later we were lemonade day champions. Though it left us thinking of when we were younger. Having one little girl just like me did not help the situation. 

Of course, in the middle of all the hand crafted signs and sticky white fold down tables was one perfectly decorated stand. She had a red and white vintage checker board table cloth, plastic grape stems, and a sweet wooden comment box. 

Kelsey: "Did you get up really early this morning to make your lemonade."
Little girl: "I actually made it last night."

See! She is me. Ahead of the game and everything. How sweet was this little girl? So sweet it almost, for just one second, made me wish one day, about 20 or 30 years from now, I could have a little girl just like her. I mean honestly, these kids were so excited about such a small thing. How sweet is that?

I still remember being a kid and having lemonade stands. In our minds we were the talk of the street. One time we didn't even have enough cups, but since we were in such high demand we asked the neighbors to let us dispose of them properly... little did they know that meant dispose them right back to someone else. Looking back that probably was not the most sanitary decision. 

But the walk down memory lane did not end with us supporting a local event. Later when Kristin and I went to Ulta for a new CHI (those things are really good at breaking right when the year warranty is up) I saw the thing that got me the most. It choked me up and shook my brain.

There she was, hair in ringlets, make up done to a T. Her mom was holding the empty eyelash extension box. This girl was going to prom. Ohh prom, how sweet it was. Really, prom at the time was not the best thing I had experienced. Yet seeing that girl, she looked so young but so grown up, it washed away any dislike I had. 

Watching her mom frolic around the store, getting last minute things and having that look in her eyes. You know, the one where someones kid is growing up. That look of being proud but sad at the same time. This mom was so proud of her little girl and the beautiful woman she was going to be, but sad to see her go. 

It was this look that made me realize just how grown up I am. Kristin and I talked about prom being 4 years ago. We had our last prom almost as long ago as how long we were in high school. Time really does fly, and you never know where you will be until you are there. But seeing that perfect little girl sell lemonade and that beautiful high schooler made me think, maybe growing up isn't as bad as it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment