Friday, May 11, 2012

Five years from now

It's been over 48 hours since I have blogged. Feels kind of weird. But it's finals time so clearly things are crazy here in Lubbock. I just walked out of my last final. Cant decide is this crazy rain is a rejoice or a sign that I did bad... But it is over and that is all the matters!

And with this new found freedom I have deiced it is back to blogging. Thing is I really did miss it the last two daya. This has become my outlet to the crazy world I live in. 

Recently I read a blog of Diana Oats (her stuff is really good you should check it out!) where she received a letter that she wrote to herself five years ago in high school. It was a depiction of where she wanted to be when the letter arrived, and what she wanted to be doing. 

Clearly I am past writing to my college graduated self my senior year of high school, but even still it is hard to guess where I will be and I think it is a great time to write myself a little reminder for years down the road.

Dear self,

Lets get real here. I know you pretty well and all. five year from the day I wrote this would be May 11, 2017. There are a few things I hope for then, and a few things to look out for. 

First and foremost I hope I am happy. But not that skim the surface happy I so often pass off as okay. I want to be genuinely happy. And better than that I want to know what genuine happiness is. There are a few things I think will get me there, so those are the ones I would like to share today.


1) Review your job:
Where are you working? I hope by now you are out of the 125 market for journalism, and I hope you have found your niche. I know when you graduated you were a little scared. Do I go into TV, print or radio? Am I even good enough for any of those? By now you probably are, though I want you to take a moment to make sure you are happy. Remember the times that work got you down, and remember the times it was good. Let there be more good than bad. If not, change it. 

2) Review the love in your life:
You were always so cynical of love and giving it away. I know you didn't hate it, but you were so scared. Being safe was so much better than being hurt. As of now it has started to change. You are getting better at feeling, but look at those around you. Who do you love? Who do you like? Are you giving them your all? I hope in five years you can. I hope you are allowing yourself to feel these feelings that bring so many joy. And better yet I hope you have truly loved. Even if you have lost too. In my mind I want to say at this point you will be broken, with our luck you will have found someone you thought was so perfect, that special someone will have just crushed your heart to pieces. I hope when you read this you realize you did the right thing. That finally opening up was better than shutting down. 

3)Review yourself: 
Lastly I want you to review yourself. I want you to take a good look and make sure you are who you want to be. Right now I hope for you to be happy and healthy. I hope you are sharing your life with someone, be it friend or more, and I hope you are making progress. I hope you have learned to slow down and enjoy those around you. Take time for yourself and find something like blogging, if not still that, which you can do to relax. And most of all I hope you have the courage to change. If you no longer like where you are then move, if you don't like your job quit. And if you haven't found someone or something to keep you happy search harder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment