Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day two

Start my day off with this view? Don't mind if I do! Here is a little snap shot from Hyde Park, just a few blocks away from our hotel. Decided to go for a little morning jog around this beauty with one of my class mates. 


I can't even begin to describe how wonderful this place is. Nothing can get me down. Three hours in an archives building? Yes please! Walk around listing to a guide make Jack the Rippers murders seem like a comedy show? I'll take that too!


My feet are pounding, and I have probably collected more germs on the subway than a small child. But ladies and gentlemen... I have spent 20 years in Austin and 2 in Lubbock and cant find my way around the towns as good as I can London. It has indeed been a crazy day, and an even more surreal experience than I was expecting as we visited the University.


I have always assumed that the students in London would get jobs much easier than I would. It was shocking to hear they are in fact in the same boat as me. Maybe even worse. Speaking to two print journalism students they told me there are not even small markets to start at like in the states. Where I will have an opportunity to begin at the bottom and work my way up they practically have to wait for the old gal at the top to croak and beg for the position. 


Though begging wont work either. 


It is insane to know there are so many people struggling in this field. Crazy that people will work so hard, these girls 80 hour weeks, only to know in the back of their mind it wont pay off in the form of employment once everything is over. Scary to think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment