Monday, September 3, 2012

The boutique

I have been working at T.C. Ellis for a few weeks now, and can honestly say it has been one of the best experiences I've ever had. Not only do I love being around the clothes, but the people that come in make it even better. 

It seems I have seen it all. The crazy lady who really wanted the hanger, but not in the bag, she wanted the shirt on it (I still don't know why looking like you stole seemed like a good idea). And then there was the most precious girl in the world. Picture this, a 9-year-old with pink flats, fitted shorts, a flowy top, and yes... the sock bun! Never have I ever been so in love watching someone pull their mini RayBans out of their plush clutch and wave goodbye. And the girls who think they will find nothing. Not happy with their body. It is my job to show them how wonderful they are. Give them the perfect dress, and a glimmer of hope.

Before I started the owner of the store told me there were two kinds of shoppers. There are the therapy goers, and the wanderers.

Therapy goers are those who know what they want. They are there to take care of themselves, they have an itch, and want it scratched in the form of a credit card swipe. Some aren't even sad. Some had a great day and need to celebrate, others are trying to cover up something deeper. You can spot this kind from a mile away, they dart in the store and in minutes they have half the merchandise in their hands. Matching shoes included.


 I tried to swing this quote to my mom once... without missing a beat she told me "Shelby, I've paid your shopping bills. Therapy is cheaper."


Wanderers are those who are lost. Not in a bad way, just lost. They don't know what they are looking for, and aren't sure why they are there. Some times they want help, guidance to the perfect outfit. Some times they just want to be left alone.

That is the thing both have in common. It can swing either way. Being left alone or needing guidance. Because overall that is what fashion is, a choice. 

Various people have commented on my shopping habits and fashion tendencies. I am indeed a therapy goer. I want clothes, I think I need clothes, clothes are the solution to my every problem. Had a bad day at work, nothing those shoes cant fix. Got an A on my math test, obviously I need to reward myself with a shirt. I go to clothes for a few different reason. They are fun, they justify the changes I have made to my body, and they are comforting.

No dress has ever said you just aren't good enough for me. Shoot, clothes will tear at the seams just to satisfy your needs. Just think of your favorite pair of jeans. Holding on for dear life just to give you one more wear.

And frankly, why wouldn't you want to take advantage of clothes? People see your outfit before they can make out the dimensions of your face. Why wouldn't you want it to be an attractive one?

I hear the argument a lot that it is too time consuming to put effort into your appearance. This is something I STRONGLY disagree with. It takes just as long to make yourself look frumpy as it does to present yourself in a well manner. Trust me, no one ever got that un-brused look by not putting a lot of thought into how long to not wast their locks. 

No one ever got a job by wearing sweat pants to the interview. 

To me fashion is the utmost form of expression. You will never regret looking good when seeing your new boyfriends ex, or an old rival. But you will always regret it when your hair is a mess, your make up is running from last night, and you are wearing clothes that swallow you alive. 

And with the way fashion is going these days everything is made to make your life easier. Hello! Ever seen the sock bun? It is best done when hair is wet or dirty... can't get any better than that. And don't even tell me make up takes too long. All a girl really needs is one swoop of blush and a great gloss. 

Now I know this sounds silly, and by now you are probably thinking I'm crazy. But I dare you, just try it. Try and  fix yourself up. See how great it feels!

I have always been the friend that was dressed up. Nike shorts are for running, I don't wear them to class. And the grocery store is full of isles, AKA runways, that is not a fashion opportunity I am willing to miss out on. I did feel silly at first, but after a while I started to realize, I don't look silly, I look good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment