Wednesday, September 5, 2012

But then there is that moment

There is this one thing I have never quite figured out. It's called not being good enough. I've gone through a lot of situations that have ended with that statement. 

The thing that really gets me about not being good enough is how it comes out of nowhere. Everything is all fine and dandy, all roses and sunshine, and then BAM! You just aren't good enough. Sucks to be you! Sorry you couldn't live up to this relationship, couldn't quite make the cut on that story. You just aren't good enough.

But, just like it hits you to learn you aren't good enough, it can hit you that you are. Of course it is never just one event that gets you, there are always a few the add up to the solution.

Taking a walk with a close friend the other morning he told me I looked well, and I seemed more confident than before. It is true. I am more confident. And in ways it is because I have looked not good enough in the face and said "Shove it not good enough, shove it!"

See, something that takes a while to get to, and something that is hard to hold onto, is that at some point in life you have to realize you are good enough. You do have the right ambition, and you can spell. You are important to others in your life. You were everything someone needed, but that someone may not have seen it. 

Don't worry, there is someone that will and he is right around the corner.


This is the last thing that sealed the deal for me. I am getting to see someone else in full. Their flaws, their beauty, and all of it in my eyes is wonderful. To see such wonder in someone else made me understand I can see it in me too.

Eventually you will find this person, perhaps a friend, perhaps more. And they will make it a lot easier for you to see the good in yourself.

People get caught up in not thinking they are worthy because of those who tell them they aren't. I spent a lot of time in this predicament. Countless nights crying over the things I'm not good enough to be. 

Not skinny enough, not pretty enough, not funny enough... the list can go on for hours. 

Somewhere out there someone is really good at telling you how amazing you are.

Now, I know I seem like I have all the secrets to life. Kidding! But this is a secret I do have. 

The secret to finding those friends and finding that person... It is really simple. It is finding it in yourself first. I didn't wake up one day with a wonderful guy beside me, he doesn't follow me around whispering encouraging words into my ear. No, that would be nice (or kind of creepy), but it isn't plausable. There is hardly enough room for me at my work desk anyways. 

One day I woke up and I found myself. I found it easy to look not good enough in the face and tell it I was. I was good enough to write, and I was good enough for all the people who said I wasn't. But I was also good enough to walk away and good enough to find my peace. 

You have to know you are good enough for you to be good enough for others. For years I hated when people said that. All I could think was if I was good enough for other people then I would be just fine. I really did think I was good enough for myself, but then one day it really did just hit me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment