Friday, September 28, 2012

DAY SIX: Pick the one who will dance

It is day six, and in the most cliche of ways I have saved the best for last. There was great reason for doing this. You will understand as I explain.

Girls are hopeless romantics. I don't care how you twist it, or what you say. Even I, the greatest of all believers that you can be happy alone, deep down in a crevice of my dusty unused sole love romance. I do cry at sappy love stories (just not where people can see me), and some time... HOLD YOUR BREATH... think the idea of having an unconditional love would be the best thing ever.

Friends, please don't die. I know this is a shock to all. Frankly it was a shock to me too. But recently I have learned something about feelings. Once you have them there is nothing much you can do about it. 

But here is the thing with being a hopeless romantic. We often times settle in order to make ourselves feel that joy. News flash ladies, that isn't the joy you want to feel. 

I hate to bring this conversation to an MTV show. But never have I been more sure of something than on the last episode of Awkward. Clearly I watch the show, my life motto is the title after all. 

So there Jenna is sitting on her new found hotties lap. She ask him to dance and he says he doesn't dance. How ironic she looks at her former flame to see him having a blast with her best friend on the dance floor. And of course, because it is TV, her mom had earlier told her to always choose the one who dances. 

As goofy as it is, this is such a true statement. Why would you ever choose something differently? 

I have found a dance partner. Really though, he said he can't wait to dance with me. Poor guy doesn't know what a horrible dancer I am. Though giggling to myself while reading that message I felt like dancing with him wont be as embarrassing. With him every day is a dance. 

It is so easy to settle and make excuses for someone else. "He is so sweet, yeah he doesn't act like I exist, but does that really matter?" Or "He may ditch me 9 times out of 10, but that one time we do see each other, it is so special."

I hate to break it to you, but that isn't special. There is someone out there who is special. He will send you flowers from Spain in hand written letters. He will defy odds with others to see you, even before you know he cares. He will listen to your every fear, doubt, and happy thought. And he will love them all. Just him being himself will show you the reason you settled for so many others in the past. It was simply to know everything you wanted, and to see them in him so clearly. 

Now, don't think I'm saying this will be some cake walk. Every song changes tempo. But when you find that guy who makes the dance worth dancing, even the hard times will feel bearable. 

There have been many of nights I've cried over boys. Thanks dad for reminding me that you in fact did not take Kevin O'connell hunting before he shattered my 10th grade heart (you have always been good at consoling girls). But those are nights you are crying for yourself and your loss. I'm not saying you wont cry, you will. But crying for someone else, for something they are going through, or something y'all face together is nothing short of beautiful. For once you are not crying alone. 

I would like to make it clear that this is not someone you find with the snap of a finger. Not at all. you always hear stories that once you give up on the wrong one the right one just comes along. I'm sure this happens. But not always. It took me two years to realize my dance was right in front of me. And it took him just as long. Though two years really isn't that long when you don't have to fear someone leaving you in the middle of a song. Two years is nothing when you finally see how perfect someone can be. Not to the whole world, but to you. 

There is someone who you will never make an excuse for. You will never need to tell your roommates he couldn't come because he was busy, when really he wasn't at your graduation because he didn't care. There is someone who spends his days enjoying your talks, not someone you quadruple text just to get an "Okay" out of. There is someone who will guide you every step of the way, he won't leave you guessing the next move. 

He is out there. He is someone I am seeing in 2 days. He is my someone who will dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment