Friday, April 27, 2012

The Tebow before Tebow

Enough deep talk for now... today I am going to let you in on a little story I like to call my most embarrassing moment. Funny thing is what I did a few years ago is now an epic move made up by this guy:



Still can't seem to understand why the move wasn't as cute on me. I mean honestly, I'm just like him.


It all started one rainy day outside of my math class at Baylor University. I went there my first year, and though I have changed schools, I've yet to live down this memory. My roommates now like to call out at any awkward moment 'just kneel'!


Anyways, as I was saying, It was a rainy day on Baylor's campus. Of course I didn't have an umbrella, that would make things way too easy and less monumental. So I'm standing outside my math classroom, there is no window in the door. I still think there perhaps was a window before I got there that temporarally disappeared for the sake of the story.


I guess I should say before I continue. I am freakishly early to EVERYTHING. I'm that person that usually looks late to the 5 o'clock movie, but have no fear! I am just that early to the 8 o'clock one. 


So being comfortable with my early behavior I flung the door open and trotted on in! Walking blindly to my spot  (front row of course) I make a short pause in front of the professors desk. It wasn't actually a desk just a fold out table, Baylor is really good at putting random janky things in their very nice campus buildings. 


And then I realize... That isn't my professor. And those kids in the seats... they were not my classmates. Thankfully it seemed they were just the few late finishers taking a quiz, I say were because once they saw me they stopped. 


Then it happened. The only thing I could think to do. It wasn't rational, it wasn't even normal... I kneeled. I kneeled right down in front of the professors fold out table. And just when you think it can't be any worse, it is. I knew everyone was staring, and I knew I had to make a move. QUICK! So what do I do? Not get up, walk out and dart away like any normal person. Let's be honest, I was way past normal at this point. Normal would have been opening the door slightly to see people and turn around. At least those people get out quick enough that you can't see their face.


These people saw every inch of mine. Because like I said, I didn't stop at the kneel... I went for the planner. Yes. I took my planner out of my back pack. Every last eek of the zipper on my North Face, every last turn of the page. My planner was out and in full swing. Or fake swing? Yes, that is right, I fake flipped through the pages! 


I know what you are thinking, why didn't she just throw herself down and ask to be shot. Because that would have been less embarrassing of course! 


But here is the thing with putting yourself in this position. You either have to stay there forever, or you have to get out. Like Tim Tebow, he may have knelt once to thank his God, but now he has to do it every time. What if the guys knee hurts? Or he doesn't have time? What if he didn't actually like the kneel but did it on accident? Now he is stuck with it. 


Me on the other hand, I couldn't stay in that classroom kneeling forever. Though acting like a statue did seem to be an easier way out. After much deliberation, and flipping through my planner a full two times... I realized it was time. I had to get up.


Slowly placing my planner into my backpack, zipping it up, and raising myself off the uncomfortable floor, I looked around. It dawned on me... these people did not study very hard if they are still taking this quiz!


Though, ladies and gentlemen, don't think this is how the story ends. That would of course not be the good ending you wanted. Though neither is this one. After standing up, and again awkwardly looking around, the professor in the room spoke her first words.


"Is it raining outside?"


Frantically I pat around at my clothes. Wet. Everything is wet. I'm soaking wet! You can see through my shirt, my shorts are clinging to my thighs, and worst of all... my hair has dried into a frizz ball from the length of my kneeling session.


With one big gulp I answer "Yes."


And that is the story of how I Tebowed before Tebowing was cool. Oh until someone from my class walked in a so slyly moved to his seat. A classroom of people didn't even phase him! I darted after like a mad woman and fell into my own seat.


So maybe I don't have a heart-felt lesson today, but one thing I can say is, don't kneel unless you are a football player. It really is the only acceptable way.

No comments:

Post a Comment