Saturday, April 28, 2012

If you want to... why not?

Good morning! Here is a little early bird post for waking up too. While I hope everyone got to enjoy their Saturday morning by looking at the inside of their eyelids, I have been awake for an hour (almost two by the time I finished this post and went through for a reread). Why do you ask that I am so crazy? Well today it is because of a puppy. Ms.Jenna to be exact. I'm puppy sitting. Look how cute:



Isn't she precious? This is her wanting to go to a race with her dad... dogs always seem to think if they can just get in a suite case, or in this instant a pre made tent, they will of course make the journey. 

So I got up really early with Jenna and did all the normal doggy things (feeding, letting her out, playing with sticks) all that jazz. And though it is rough getting up early on my day off, and panicking when I'm at work thinking she is sad at home, yes it is a thing to panic for, I really like doing it. 

Which brings me to todays topic, why can't we just do what we want? 

You may be asking yourself,what a stupid question? Of course we can do what we want. But in the realm of dating we can not. Everyone is trained from early on to know the things they can and can't do. Can't say I love you on the first date (HIMYM reference), can't give it up too soon, and my all time favorite. Drum roll please! Can't do too much. 

I am the culprit when it comes to doing too much. I like cooking things and giving little gifts, my aunt is a Houston woman and she taught me well. My mind is programmed to seeing little trinkets and knowing the perfect occasion, or seeing a tray of food and understanding my serving tray would look better underneath. Got silverware? Don't lay them on the table, put them in a mason jar with tissue paper. It's as simple as that.

But it seems to always bite me in the butt when it comes to doing it for guys. Many a times, just like everyone else, I have been left wracking my brain at why doing these things I think are so sweet don't come off that way? It's not like I'm a creep... I just like little gifts.

My roommates always tell me, "You have done enough." "You do too much." "You don't need to make him any more food." Okay I know I sound crazy. I'm not popping out cookies like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, just little things here and there is all. And for a while I really did believe my roommates. I mean they were only trying to protect me, and my wallet for that matter. 

Also, who could deny their comments when reading the book "Why Men Love Bitches" at the same time? I don't know if you have heard of this book... but boy is it a jewel. It's everything you need to know about being the perfect girl. Trust me you will hook a guy in no time after the completion of the last chapter. I mean, with the first page telling you to never make food for a guy, and if you do make sure it is hot dog weenies an coffee, I don't see how you could get better advice!

Back to standing in the yard throwing sticks for Jenna, there was a moment where it dawned on me. What if one day there is just someone who likes the little gifts? Hear me out, I promise I'm not trying to get out of this one. But people always say be yourself. Be yourself in the relationship. Don't hide things, and don't cover up your personality traits. 

Well for me those little gifts are part of my personality. It brings joy to a long day to drop off a gatorade and note to someone who is having an even longer day. And where I did used to look at these gestures as one sided, because no one ever did them for me in return, maybe they aren't all about that. I'm starting to see that a lot of little things on my end and one little thing in return really does pay off when you are happy.

So here is to doing the things you want when you want, in relationships and out. Don't wait until it is too late to show someone the thing you enjoy most about yourself, may it be thoughtful trinkets or not. Eventually you will find someone who enjoy them and that is much better than not doing it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment